Make Up Work

It can get overwhelming when you have multiple students from different classes out sick, in band, or on a trip.  To help keep track of who misses what I use a colorful hanging file folder set.


Each of my 4 math classes (plus my homeroom) has a designated folder.  Anytime a student misses math class, they know that they must check their class' absent folder for any handouts or information that they missed.  I also put any missed tests or quizzes in the folder as a reminder to both the student and myself that they need to make it up.  (For tests and quizzes, I also keep a running list on my whiteboard of anyone who missed any.)

In the bottom folder I keep blank missed assignment sheets.  Whenever a student in my homeroom is absent, another student fills in the assignment sheet for them so they know exactly what they missed.  I've been using this system for 5 years now and really like it!

Comments

  1. I love this idea. I too struggle with keeping up with absences and missing assignments. I have searched for a file organizer like this and have had no luck. where did you purchase this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it here: http://store.schoolspecialty.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpItmDspRte.jsp?section=40004&item=455790&minisite=10046&ssiprod=K0WLUSD88SOaqZIqpGRCDGPf:S&ssiprod_pses=ZGBD9AAAE3BCE02227098916B15921B86CCC5C938C959625858FA6A02B575D3302A7CA753639FB0E199CF543E74516131C42B7D7432E1842A5

      Delete
  2. Found it! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PTRWYS/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A31EVTLIC13ORD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good, I'm glad. It really is a great way to keep track of who owes what. I also have a list on my whiteboard right next to the folders of any students who need to make up a test or quiz. I write their names on the board as I put the tests in the folders as a visual reminder.

      Delete
  3. This is a great idea! I struggle with this the most. If my students miss an assignment they have two days to get it to me. So I get my make-up work and missing work mixed up and who needs points taken off and who does not. So, If a student is absent do you write their name on the assignment and then put it in the file folder? You also said that you have a student fill out the assignment sheet.....can you tell me more on that or is it on your web-site?
    Thanks for all your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when I student is absent I write their name and date on the assignment/test/quiz and place it in the folder. I also keep a list on the whiteboard right next to the folders as a visual reminder of who owes what. The missed assignment sheets are filled out by a friend. It's just a sheet with a space for all subject areas so the student knows exactly what they missed in every class that day. It's in my TpT store (http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Missed-Assignment-Sheet-837982).

      Delete
  4. Love it! This is such a difficult task for me. Thank you for your helpful post. :)

    FlapJack Educational Resources Blog

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts